Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Flags of our fathers


I think that is an appropriate title for this blog, because soon it will be Waitangi Day in New Zealand. A treaty was signed on the 6th February 1840, between the participating Maori tribes, or Iwi, and the Government of the day.
A chief called Hone Heke objected and twice cut down the flag at Waitangi. The flag being what we call the Union Jack.
Our flag now has the Union Jack plus the four stars which represent the Star system, the Southern Cross. It's a bit odd that in our National Anthem, there is a line that goes, Guard Pacific's Triple Star! What the? I don't think anyone knows the true answer to that, and yet we all sing along and place our arm across our breast in the patriotic fashion.
Is it time for a change? This question has been tossed around in the mouths of various governments and spat out so many times in the past few years. The Maori are the indigenous race in this country and yet are not represented on our present flag. (Another what the?) I am all for one nation, one flag, hence the included picture. With maybe a Union Jack somewhere in the corner?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lady you ask some really relevent questions. I asked around my family and none of them understood the triple star bit either. Also I think the maori flag would be a better look for New Zealand's flag. The union jack would look great in the red peice at the bottom and the southern cross in the black at the top. That way the traditional owners of the land would be acknowledge as they deserve, but it would also show that the British Nation has brought much to this land nestled under the southern cross.

Anonymous said...

Hello lady

I think the present New Zealand flag sucks. It reeks of 180 years of colonialism and persecution. To me it symbolises what the British did to the many indigenous cultures all over the world. I don’t need to go into that, it just amazes me how many New Zealanders really do not know about their own history.

After reading about the history of what the British did to the Maori of New Zealand, Every time I see the New Zealand flag it gives me the same sick feeling I get when ever I see the German Swastika. No wonder the natives likes the Jews are upset. I don’t blame them. I say change it.

I think the Maori flag is not only beautiful but depicts the land of the long white cloud in its true essence.

Harel Savitzky

Anonymous said...

Lady, not sure how much you check this, but I'm Jillian Burgess, via Stuttgart, Ark., U.S. I was Googling my father's surname and came upon your site. Oddly enough, your first mentioned favorite movie is the last movie I ever watched with my grandmother. I'm 22, my grandmother was of Scottish descent, my grandfather English descent; my email address is paginator@stuttgartdailyleader.com if you'd like to chat sometime.

Anonymous said...

Hello Dot Burgess.I think we should have our own flag, but not that awful Maori one.That colour is the colour of Black Power and the Mongrel mob. Wouldn't want them representing NZ.But I can understand Maori not wanting anything from England.However until it happens we'll just keep the old one.And be proud of it and our country.