Friday, November 17, 2006

Fractured conversations

Well, here I am again babbling on about nothing in particular. (Although the particulars are quite important to me and mine.)
Recently at a family gathering, not being a particular happy one, I somehow got caught up in the presence of this occasion.
She says, "Thank you for coming, blah blah". I say, "I am so sorry, etc." The snippets of conversation go on....

Do we really listen to the other things that are not said? eg. I feel very sad. I will miss him/her so much! (Please have another one of these delicious savouries, I baked them myself!) Did you know that he/she was into making such lovely crotchet rugs?
There were all the good times from this persons life, a long and happy marriage, children etc.
Do you remember the time? We are living such a preoccupied existence, all relevance to this person's life are momentarily gone and we get on with whatever we have to, to get us past this moment.

I couldn't help wondering, are you related to so and so who's mother is your cousin's aunt? Oh no, he is my uncle on my grandfather's side.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I have a question for you. Is Burgess your last name? My cousin married a guy named Burgess and they live in Chicago. Wouldn't it be something if ya'll were related?

Lakewood Lady said...

Yeah, that'd be cool, but I don't think so somehow. There are about a thousand Burgesses in England, where my husband came from.